3/16/14

My Phone Interview Experience

Whew!

Anyone else incredibly glad that the phone interview is over? The decision is in someone else's hands now, and my level of stress has gone down a tremendous amount. Like literally, my hands just stopped shaking. So this post will be all about my own personal phone interview, questions I was asked, and answers I gave.

I spent all weekend studying interview questions. Today, Sunday March 16, 2014, I literally did not leave my room other than to eat. I reviewed over and over my interview questions and answers. The clock hit 4:00 and my interview was scheduled at 4:30. I told my parents not to enter my room until after 5:00, shut the door, and proceeded to stare at my phone for the next 19 minutes. At 4:19 exactly, the phone rang with No Caller ID. This was it: my 2nd phone interview for the DCP.

I answered, and was asked to speak with Katelynn. I replied that this is she, and was greeted by my interviewer, Sandy. She asked how I was and explained that she was from the Disney College Program and asked if it was still a good time for the interview. It was, so she explained that she would be asking questions pertaining to my work experience, roles in the program, and so on. Here are the questions she asked me and my approximate answers. I did not read them off of this sheet.

Why are you interested in doing a 2nd College Program?
I really enjoyed my first program. It taught me more than I possibly could have hoped to learn. It’s also been a really great asset to have on my resume. It’s brought me a lot of opportunities already. But what I love the most about the program is being a part of all of the work that goes on behind the scenes. As a guest, the experience is so seamless and magical. But as a cast member, I think that the magic is just intensified. Because you really see all of the hard work that goes into it and the passion that all of the cast members have for it. I can’t think of a more rewarding job than being able to give guests that experience and ever since I came home, all I’ve been thinking about is returning to do that. 

It looks like you currently work at JCPenney . Explain your job there. (I was NOT prepared for this one!)

It is your average retail environment - not commission based or anything. I ensure that customers are having a good time, assist them with questions on the floor, check them out at the registers, keep the sales floor clean and stocked, empty the fitting room, and close up at night by recovering, folding, and aligning hangers. It's pretty basic.

I see you worked at Carl's Jr. before that as well. How was that?

Everyone always bashes fast food, but I actually had a really great experience working there. It was extremely fast paced and time sensitive. Things definitely had to be done a certain way by a certain time. It was a process. But it really taught me how to work as part of a team, multi-task, and manage my time wisely.

How do you feel about working outdoors in the heat, rain, etc?

I don't mind it at all. Where I live, it actually gets to be 110 degrees in the summer. So I can definitely handle the heat.

What pace do you prefer to work at?

I've been placed in all types of work environments, so I can adjust to whatever pace I am placed in. But I think I prefer a faster work environment, because I work well under pressure and I like to have deadlines to meet. 

Do you prefer to work alone or with others?

I don't think I've ever really worked alone, besides at California Sun Centers. I suppose that got a little boring. I like working with others because I enjoy getting to know my co-workers and being a part of a team.

How do you handle repetitive tasks? (Forgot to study for this one too!)

I think to some degree, all jobs are a little repetitve -asking the same questions, using the registers, refolding the same tshirts - but I don't mind it at all. I think getting to know and engaging with the customers you are dealing with breaks it up a little. 

Are you okay with walking and standing for long periods of time?

I've never really had a job where I was sitting, so yes, I'm perfectly used to standing and walking on the job.

What are the roles you are most interested in?

Honestly, I would be grateful to have any role that Disney is willing to give me, but I'd have to say that my number one role choice would be Hospitality or Concierge. While I was in my last College Program, I had a degree and career and my life's path all set out for me, but when I got home I realized that it was all based off of what would make me a stable income rather than what my passion was. And I realized that my passion was providing great guest service and an amazing experience for others. So I actually changed my major to Hospitality and I think that being placed in this role would really allow me to do what I love and assure me that this was the right decision. With that said, I know those can be hard roles to get, and I could also see myself in Merchandise or either of the Food & Beverages.

What do you think the job of a Front Desk person is?

I think their job is to check people in and out, be knowledgeable about the parks and the Orlando area, and make sure that guests had everything they needed. 

How would you greet someone coming into your work location?

I think it's important to make people feel special, rather than just part of the herd. So I would smile, meet eye contact, wave and say hello. If I got a chance to talk to them, I would ask them how their day was going, etc. 

Are you okay with working in the club-level concierge and having to clean up after others?

Oh yes. I've cleaned up after others in every job that I've had. 

If someone was a usual at the Disney Resort, stayed all the time, in the same room, every time, what would you do for this person if their room were not available?

I would apologize for not having the room available, and discuss the other options that are available at our resort. I know that trying new things isn't necessarily their style, but sometimes new things can surprise you! So I would recommend other resorts with styles or rooms very similar to the one that they want.

How would you make someone feel special as a Front Desk person?

I like to get to know my guests rather than just do my job and send them on their way. I would say hello, refer to them by name if possible, refer to their children as pirate or princess, ask them where they're from, what they're excited to do, what the best thing they've done today was, etc.

A family has been at Magic Kingdom all day and explains to you that they stood in line for 2 hours at Space Mountain, only for it to be closed. What would you do to compensate for this?

I would try to write them a Fast Pass (I knew this from previous work as a CP) or if that wasn't possible, try to make up for the time that was taken away from them, by giving them a way to be quicker somehow. 

She finished up the interview by asking a few legal questions, like if I had a Driver's License, if I was an International Student, and if I was able to perform the job descriptions without accommodation. Then, I asked her the following questions. This is the part where you get to relax and have fun, and remember that they are a person too! 

Did you ever do the college program?

Did you take classes at Disney University?

Is it seen negatively to opt out of housing?

Out of curiosity, what is your favorite park?

My interview lasted exactly 20 minutes, and I feel like it went fairly well. There were definitely some questions I forgot to study, and some scenarios that I wasn't prepared for either. Sandy was really incredibly nice and personable and I really enjoyed hearing about her experiences at the end of the interview. But overall, I think it went well, and I definitely feel better about it than my 1st program interview. All I can do now is wait!

I hope this helps all of you out there preparing for phone interviews and assures those of you who have already finished. We're all in this together! (High School Musical, anyone?)
See ya real soon!
Katie  

No comments:

Post a Comment